Lamees Al Baharna CFA, FRM is a seasoned risk management expert with over 30 years experience in all aspects of risk management, including establishing a methodology, policies and procedure, credit underwriting, investment valuation and enterprise risk management. As Chief Risk Officer for Oman Arab Bank, she oversees credit risk, operational risk, market risk, information security and policies and procedures for a bank with assets over USD 5.3 billion.Prior to her current role, Lamees was the head of risk for Mumtalakat, where she established a best in class risk management framework, taking into account the organization’s business model and long-term strategic objectives. She also developed and executed the risk management and corporate governance framework for the newly formed Sovereign Wealth Fund of Bahrain, covering both its direct investments and liquid portfolio.Previously, Lamees was Vice President – Credit Group at Gulf International Bank, overseeing risk evaluation and mitigation of investment proposals—including GCC project finance, Islamic, international trade and commercial banking activities. Investment transactions included purchases of structured products and debt securities (including sukuks), equities, private equity, real estate and hedge funds. She also led the development and implementation of new risk policies, standards and practices in compliance with BASEL II requirements, such as the Bank’s new Risk Management System (Fermat).
Lamees has also worked with Lehman Brothers, Merrill Lynch, National Bank of Bahrain and, as a chemical engineer by training, she began her career with Gulf Petrochemicals Industries Company (GPIC).
- Appointed by a Royal decree issued by His Majesty King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, as a Board Member of the Capital General Secretarial Board, responsible for Bahrain’s Capital Municipality.
- President & Executive Board Member, CFA Society Bahrain
- Board Member, CFA Institute Presidents Council
Education and Qualifications
- BEng (Hons) Chemical Engineering, McGill University, Canada
- C31000 certificate for Certified ISO 31000 (Risk Mgt Standard) Risk Professionals
- Financial Risk manager – Global Association of Risk Professionals (FRM)
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
- Certified Basel II Professional -2010, Basel II Certification Institute – Switzerland
- CFA Institute Presidents Council Representative for 23 CFA Societies in East Europe, Middle East and Africa, 2013- Present